Prompt:Try–What do you want to try next year? Is there something you wanted to try in 2010? What happened when you did / didn’t go for it?
This prompt could easily get away from me, I have a million and one things I would love to try, but let’s stick to reality and go with things that I might actually be able to manage. I mean honestly, what are the chances that I am going to drive an Aston Martin, or play poker at a final table in a large tournament? Exactly, I have to reign in the list of want to tries and shoot for something I have a chance of accomplishing.
There will be no order to my list as I don’t actually have a detailed plan for my life. Planning, to me, always seemed like a way to disappoint yourself. The more things you have planned the quicker life decides it’s time to kick you in the huevos. I’ve always been a “take ’em as they come” type of guy, but, hey, this prompts says: what I want to try, and that is what I’m going to give them.
Okay, now, to think… I. Want. To. Try…
1. …To remain gainfully employed for the entire year. Sounds like I don’t do this already, but I assure you I do, it’s just that I work in construction and things have screeched to a halt here. There was a time in this town that you could quit a job and have another before you got home. No longer the case. While we’re on the subject I’d like to try not to get any more jobs where I go pick up mu check on Friday and get handed an I.O.U instead, that’s enough to make you scream Ballsack!!
2. …To get myself back on a workable schedule that includes some good reading time and ample sleep. Unfortunately, that means closing the lid to this laptop and actually getting myself into bed at a reasonable hour, and that is proving to be one hell of a mission.
3. …To get some of the ideas I have for long(er) fiction written. I have a few, and they keep creeping back into my mind from time to time, so, I need to get them boxed up and ready to ship. I really have no idea how to start something as big as I imagine they will become, let alone maintain a cohesive story line, make it good enough to convince the three people that will read it to finish or even if I have enough of an idea to consider doing so. I really am flying by the seat of my pants here people, I keep seeing those same three people asking themselves, “What is with this guy and the commas?”
4. …To have sex semi-frequently, and not the kind that gives you carpal tunnel syndrome either. I want some “holy shit where’s the water, I just broke my pelvis,you’re on my hair, what’s the safe-word again, She-Ra?” sex. Please. And make it snappy, I’m in a hurry toots.
5. …To make myself pass on the second piece of cake, sometimes. I’m not getting any younger, so says they gray hair creeping into my beard and peppering my hair, and running to the bathroom isn’t the workout I require, even during a stage three emergency clench. The last time my heart started racing it was because I had just realized there was ice cream in the freezer.
6. …To say hassenpfeffer, randomly, in the middle of a blog post. (check)
7. …To take my dog on more walks. I spent good money and lots of time getting my dog trained. He no longer requires a leash and I have since stopped even carrying one at all; I’m not even sure I know where it is anymore. I have missed some of the one on one time we used to get during our walks. He is a good boy and deserves a little more of effort from me to keep him happy. Sounds stupid, I know, since what would really make him happy is a plateful of kitty crunchies from the litter-box.
What can I say? I’m easy. I don’t want or need much, just a smile from time to time and I can make due.